Saturday 21 May 2011

Front of new phone!

I missed this photo from the previous set!!
I must admit that I wasn't totally convinced about the colour scheme at first. I think it has grown on me a little bit, but given a choice, I would prefer a darker/metallic look.
Other initial thoughts :
The white colour makes it appear to be cheap plastic. The rubber case doesn't fit very well and I think will become annoying over time. The touchscreen is too small for internet use, and the '2 finger pinch' doesn't create a very big zoom. In zoom mode, the text doesn't cut to the screen size, meaning I still have to scroll sideways.
Mobile internet pages, however, ARE rendered to fit the screen in full with no zoom option making them, for my old eyes, unreadable.
Also unreadable is the keyboard. In bright, or direct sunlight, the backlit keyboard turns the letters white so that texting is impossible in these conditions. (Rather cleverley, the letters turn dark when the blacklight dims).
It is probably more to do with my lack of prowess with touchscreens, but I tend to promote actions unintentionally. Wiping dust from the screen or changing grip whilst holding the phone causes windows to open, which is annoying.
So that seems a fairly poor phone, then.
But the good stuff is really good!
The keyboard is fantastic! Much better than on my old E71, which itself was, I thought, better than the Blackberries. Although small, the screen is a lot better resoloution, the text and images are sharp and clear.
The camera is really good. I'm from the 'point and click' school of photography, but the comparison between 3.2mp and 8mp can be seen in these pictures and, when I work out how to use it properly, will get better.
MP3 player works fine, and the 'shuffle' feature is easier to use than on the E71, with album art presented as a carousel on the touchscreen.
So far so good!

No comments: